At Fairstead Community Primary and Nursery School we aim to provide a cross curricular, enquiry based curriculum which is designed to:
- Engage all children including those pupils with SEN, EAL and high attainers because it is practical, active and provides challenge
- Foster high levels of response, enthusiasm and achievement.
- Encourage children to explore, investigate and use discussion to communicate
- Improve children’s attitudes towards learning
- Cover all skills and embed them across the National Curriculum
- Make use of the outside learning opportunities
We want our children to be happy, enthusiastic and curious learners.
We encourage and stimulate the best possible progress for all our pupils. Our curriculum builds on pupils’ interests, strengths and experiences, developing their confidence as learners, and their ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
The National Curriculum sets out the minimum content. At Fairstead Primary, we make sure children learn lots of additional skills, knowledge and understanding. For example:
- We offer a range of after-school clubs including multi sports, sewing, and a newspaper club
- If a class or group show an interest in a particular subject, teachers will try to include this in the school year
- We provide a wide range of trips and invite visitors into school to develop the children’s experiences e.g. farm visits, coast visits, Y6 residential, theatre groups, author visits.
- Development of the school’s outside space to provide opportunities for learning outside the classroom
How we deliver our curriculum
At Fairstead, we deliver our curriculum in half termly or termly blocks. Teachers prepare a curriculum map for each block that gives an outline of themes and coverage, which is also available for parents.
Please click the following link to see the overview:-