The Big Idea
Challenge needs to be appropriate to each learner (tricky!). This means multiple other principles and ideas need to be in place.
- Pre-teaching may have taken place as needed
- Vocabulary may have been explicitly taught and shared in the Can I?
- A WAGOLL has been provided and deconstructed.
- Mixed ability pairings (Kagan teams) are in place.
- Soft scaffolding is in place – teachers are reactive to learners being stuck in ‘the pit’
Blooms Taxonomy Blog with Verbs – innovativeteachingideas.com
Growth mindset and ‘the pit’ – Grove Road Primary School website
Scaffolding – Macmillan Education
The 5 plagues of reading spine – Doug Lemov
The Teaching Booth Reading Curriculum – theteachingbooth.wordpress.com