Our vision for music is that we provide every child with high quality music experiences which engage and inspire them. We provide opportunities for all children to create, play, perform and enjoy music and to appreciate a variety of music styles. We aim for every child to leave Fairstead Primary School with a range of musical skills, knowledge and an understanding and love of music which they can carry with them for the rest of their lives.
At Fairstead Primary School we encourage children to participate in a variety of musical experiences through which we aim to build up the confidence of all children. Singing is an integral part of our school life and our teaching focuses on developing the children’s ability to sing in tune, developing their expression and ability to listen to others.
Pupils’ understanding of music will be developed through activities which bring together the requirements of performing, composing, listening and appraising. Children are taught to make music together with tuned and un-tuned instruments and to compose pieces. They are also taught to sing and play in time controlling the sound and pace. They are taught different ways to represent sounds graphically and symbolically.
- enjoyand appreciate a wide variety of musical styles;
- explorehow sounds are made, and how music is produced by a variety of instruments;
- developimagination and creativity;
- builda sense of pulse and rhythm;
- understanda range of musical vocabulary;
- develop the interrelated skills of composition, improvisation, performance and appreciation;
- enjoya wide range of songs and sing in tune;
- developpositive attitudes and to experience success and satisfaction in music.